Subject: Re: [boost] [BGL] problem w/ push_relabel_max_flow and floating point capacities
From: Marc Schafer (Marc.Schafer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-07 09:40:40

Jeremiah,
I am looking at a particular case in the debugger and I see that is_flow returns false because of comparisons that fail by an error that is many orders of magnitude smaller than the numbers being compared. For example, x==y fails because x and y are both approximately 1. and x-y is 1.e-14. I could replace the particular comparisons that are failing for my test case, but I need to know how to make the entire algorithm generically suitable for use with floating point numbers.

is_flow just performs a consistency check after the calculation is complete. Does the calculation itself require any modifications to work correctly with floating point numbers? What are the appropriate tolerances to use? Do the relational tests (<, >) also need modification to properly handle floating point?

-Marc