Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] semantic action for mismatches?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-10 11:42:12

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> On 1/11/2011 12:15 AM, caustik wrote:
>
> > It would be a nice addition to the documentation to have
> > some thorough benchmark tests. Any particular ideas on what
> > good tests would be? Maybe even just a note in the FAQs with
> > a suggestion on how tests could be run, and asking for users
> > to contribute, would yield some help from others. I would
> > imagine that there have been a few users who ran their own
> > internal tests before choosing a solution, if they were made
> > aware of the interest in gathering those results, they may
> > volunteer that data.
>
> I don't agree.
>
> If it were Spirit vs. other parsers (yacc, ANTLR, etc.), that would be
> meaningful, yes. But if it is spirit vs. xpressive, it will be an
> apple-orange comparison. There are things that are best suited for
> xpressive that spirit can't do and the same the other way around.
> These are different tools with some overlap. Real world uses for both
> tools go beyond this common overlap. Benchmarks that test the common
> denominator are at best for entertainment only. Would you write a
> compiler with xpressive? I don't think so. Would you do search and
> replace with Spirit? Nah.

Where there is overlap, there is a choice. One can make that choice based solely upon convenience and familiarity, out of complete ignorance, or based upon benchmarks that show solutions to common problems that reveal differences in code written, compilation times, and runtime performance.

With benchmarks for various applications of Spirit, there can be yacc, ANTLR, Xpressive, etc. solutions, as appropriate, to assist developers in selecting the right tool.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]