Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Filesystem v3 as default in Boost 1.46.0?
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-11 19:38:25

Beman,

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Jeremiah Willcock <jewillco_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > Will the default version of Boost.Filesystem be v3 in the Boost 1.46.0
> > release?  The current release branch still has v2 as the default (at
> > least in <boost/filesystem.hpp>).
>
> Filesystem trunk has now been merged into the release branch. Lots of
> server errors, but it looks like the merge did take.
>
> So for 1.46.0, V3 will be the default.
>
> >  Also, if I want to write code that works for both v2 and v3, should I
> > test the BOOST_FILESYSTEM_VERSION macro directly?
>
> A lot of code will work with both versions. You can certainly #if on
> BOOST_FILESYSTEM_VERSION, but if you are having to do that often, please
> drop me an email with an example. I'm still open to adding compatibility
> hacks if they are helpful.

There is a file in Wave (boost/wave/util/filesystem_compatibility.hpp),
which I needed to expand considerably to provide a compatibility layer for
Boost.Filesystem V3. Please have a look and drop me a note if some of the
hacks there will not be needed anymore.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com