Subject: Re: [boost] Improving review process
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-14 08:43:39

On 1/14/2011 6:56 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> At Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:49:10 -0500,
> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> On 1/13/2011 8:42 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>>> Meh. You can always alias the dependency into the library under
>>> review for the purposes of the interface. In other words, instead of
>>> using boost::bar::x in the interface of boost::foo::f, use
>>> boost::foo::bar::x.
>>
>> I think the idea is that...
>
> I understand your point, Edward. I just think there are tractable (if
> slightly ugly) solutions available.
>
>> if library X depends on library Y, and
>> library X gets reviewed before library Y, and library X gets accepted
>> then:
>>
>> 1) Library X has to wait for library Y to be reviewed and Library Y
>> has to then get accepted into Boost.
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) Library X has to duplicate the functionality of whatever it uses in
>> Library Y.
>
> I would rather say, "import" than "duplicate."

I do not understand the distinction you are making.

>> This does create some problems especially if library X heavily depends
>> on Library Y and Library Y is not accepted into Boost.
>
> Just do it the way Spirit/Fusion did it. When X is reviewed, make the
> parts of Y you need look like a sub-part of X. When Y comes up for
> review on its own, you adjust, implementing some
> backward-compatibility glue as needed.

I agree with that completely, and that's the way I design also.

Still, in the scenario above, if library Y is not accepted there is work
to be done in library X to implement under the hood whatever
functionality from library Y it needed. But that's still not enough of a
reason for library X to have to wait until library Y gets reviewed for
it to get reviewed, and I think that was the point of your response.