Subject: Re: [boost] [gil][io_ew] performance test
From: Domagoj Saric (dsaritz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-16 08:58:13

"Christian Henning" <chhenning_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi there, I did a little update to include more files. Now I have
> 26580 jpeg files distributed over 10 folders. I also tried to reduce
> the number of image memory allocation by reusing the same image over
> and over again.

But you still used boost::filesystem which is also not the most lightweight
thing in the Universe (for example, simply adding its cpp files to my test
project added ~150kB to the release binary...also between the "if (
fs::is_directory( dir_path ) )" line and the first read_image() call I
counted 16 memory allocations and 6 memory allocations between each
subsequent call to read_image()...)...

Your test description is also missing relevant information, such as the test
machine's hardware and software configuration, third party library versions
and compiler and linker options used to build them and the test project...

But, as argued to Lubomir, this 'obfuscation' or 'damping' of results (i.e.
the comparison between different backend wrappers) with filesystem access is
IMO moot...

>> All jpegs are the same image but they are a different file. This way
>> I'm sure I don't have to convert the image into a different color
>> space. I did that since io2 doesn't support any_image, I believe.

I did add any_image support at the beginning but did not test it in a long
time so I don't know whether it still works...but, why would you need
any_image even if you did use different images with different formats...the
backend/backend wrapper can do the conversion (e.g. your
read_and_convert_image())...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than