Subject: Re: [boost] [General] Always treat std::strings as UTF-8
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-17 17:30:23

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:12:48 +0000
Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I've done some research, and it looks like it would require little
>> effort to create an os::string_t type that uses the current locale,
>> and assume all raw std::strings that contain eight-bit values are
>> coded in that instead.
>
> I'm not sure about the os namespace ;) What about just calling it
> native_t like your other class but in the same namespace as utf8_t
> etc.

If os::native_t were still going to be around, I wouldn't want
something that potentially confusing. But since it's going away, I see
no problem with that. I've updated my notes.

>> Artyom, since you seem to have more experience with this stuff than
>> I, what do you think? Would those alterations take care of your
>> objections?
>
> Also, Artyom's Boost.Locale does very sophisticated encoding
> conversion but the unicode conversions done by utf*_t look (scarily?)
> small. Do they do as good a job or should these classes make use of
> the conversions in Boost.Locale?

They should probably use Boost.Locale. I just haven't looked at it yet.
I'll check it out when I get some time to dig into that project again,
likely later this week.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.