Subject: [boost] [interprocess] sharing memory between 32 bit and 64 bit Windows processes
From: Arno Schödl (aschoedl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 07:02:17

Hello Ion,

I also need this functionality badly. Is there any chance of you implementing it? Basically, using unsigned int instead of size_t and int instead of ptrdiff_t, so the binary layout of shared memory is always like in 32 bit, would in practice do the trick.

If we implement it ourselves, would you support getting this into boost? I cannot promise complete support. I already saw that rbtree_best_fit has a problem because the ring list containing the memory blocks needs to wrap around from the last block to the first. Would porting Doug Lea's allocator be an option? It will be hard to beat something that has been so thoroughly used and improved.

Cheers,

Arno

--
Dr. Arno Schödl | aschoedl_at_[hidden]