Subject: Re: [boost] namespace boost?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 12:31:55

2011/1/18 Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>:
>> But for libraries with one 'main concept' file must exists such file.
>> For example, in my Configurator:
>>
>> #include <boost/configurator/configurator.hpp>
>
> That should not preclude configurator/all.hpp, even if all.hpp merely includes configurator.hpp.  You can change boost/configurator/all.hpp should the need ever arise while boost/configurator.hpp won't need to change.  That makes selective, local changes easier because they would be isolated to the configurator subdirectory.

This is true, but I don't want to encourage a proliferation of files
with the same name (in different directories). That will just make
development harder. I can't help but think that those against
boost/library_name.hpp are focusing so hard on purity that they're
ignoring convenience. It should be _trivial_ for people to get
started with a boost library, and #include
<boost/library_name/library_name.hpp> makes a bad first impression,
IMO. At it has no practical benefit: there are identical chances of
colliding instances of boost/library_name.hpp and of colliding
instances of boost/library_name/library_name.hpp, because the
information there is redundant.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing