Subject: Re: [boost] [General] Always treat std::strings as UTF-8
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 04:32:05

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> lol - well no one is going to use it until it exists.
>>
>> Is it necessary to explain that I did not mean it that way. What I meant
>> that we can hardly expect that everybody will adopt utf8_t when Boost
>> introduces it. As a consequence everybody will remain with std::string
>> and ANSI encodings.
>
> I think maybe you underestimate our influence.  It won't be immediate,
> but I believe we *could* produce the new lingua franca and get it
> widely-adopted.

I didn't mean to say that Boost does not have the influence to do that.
It easily could. I think that it should instead use its influence
in the C++ world to help phasing out the ANSI encodings in favor
of UTF-8 without sacrificing a 'flagship-class' like std::string and
introducing a new one into the already crowded club of string handling
classes.

Regards

Matus