Subject: Re: [boost] namespace boost?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 06:58:09

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 19/01/11 05:51, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> Am I the only one who thinks adding the type of an identifier to the
>> name is ugly? As in<identifier>_<type>  (in this case `tuple_nmsp`
>> or `tuple_lib`)?
>
> There are libraries with 'lib' in name like
> libpng, libtiff or zlib, so there could be:
>
> libspirit
> libgeometry
> libfilesystem

Right, but you don't have them in the namespace. Mostly I think the
reason for having 'lib' as a prefix is mostly because of UNIX/Linux
and GCC intepreting `-lfoo` to mean link in a library named `libfoo`
for shorthand and for convention. I might see the need for that in a
filesystem where you have to distinguish names because you don't
typically have a namespace (although directories are there, which is
another issue).

That doesn't make me like the 'lib' name myself. Although cpp-netlib
is there, I'm just not that creative to come up with an alternate name
for it. :D

--
Dean Michael Berris
about.me/deanberris