Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 10:22:34

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:00:17 -0500, Chad Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:16:59 +0000
> Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:33:02 +0100, Matus Chochlik wrote:
>> [..]
>>> All the wstrings, wxString, Qstrings, utf8strings, etc. will
>>> be abandoned. All the APIs using ANSI or UCS-2 will
>>> be slowly phased out with the help of convenience
>>> classes like ansi_str_t and ucs2_t that will be made
>>> obsolete and finally dropped (after the transition).
>>
>> This is simply not going to happen. How could MS even go about doing
>> this in Windows? It would make very single piece of Windows software
>> incompatible with the next version!
>
> That has never stopped them before -- see Windows 2.0 -> 3.0, Windows
> 3.x -> Windows 95 (only partial compatibility), various versions of
> WinCE/Windows
> Mobile/whatever-marketingspeak-name-they're-using-this-year... ;-)

I'm not convinced you're right about this. You only have to read The Old
New Thing to see some of the remarkable (insane?) things MS do to retain
backwards compatabiliy. I believe only the 64-bit versions of Windows
Vista/7 ditch 16-bit program compatibilty - so you should be able to crack
out those windows 3 programs on Windows 7 x86 and watch then run! :D

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)