Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-20 09:30:48

> I may be wrong, and I hope I am. If a character is guaranteed never to
> consist of more than X code-points,
> it would be simple to offer a
> fixed-width character type, even if the width is huge by comparison to
> the eight-bit char type. But from what I've seen, I don't think that's
> the case.

I assume there is some limit but who know which?

Even in Hebrew (the language I speak) you can easily create
a letter with 4 code points:

- shin-basic, shin/sin mark, vovel, dagesh
- Now I can also add some biblical marks (I think there may be two or
  three of them)

And Hebrew is relatively simple one.

Now I have no idea about what happens in other languages and what
happens with Unicode points that are going to be added in future
Unicode releases.

So I would suggest not assume that there is a certain limit.

Artyom