Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 20:57:10

On 01/21/2011 01:32 PM, Matus Chochlik wrote:
> ... elision by patrick ....
> I'm not thinking about it as a completely new thing, more like
> future std::string 2.0, an upgrade not a replacement.

It's not an upgrade because suddenly, many things that people do with
std::string wouldn't work. You're really taking a special-case subset
of what the std::string is used for and saying that it's the only one
that people can use any more. If you are throwing away much of the
utility and focusing in on a special case, don't name it string because
it's no longer a general case string.

Patrick