Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-24 02:08:10

On 01/23/2011 07:51 PM, David Bergman wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>
>> ... elision by patrick...
>> I think I disagree with this. A string is by definition a sequence of
>> something -- a string of integers, a string of events, a string of
>> characters. Encoding is not an intrinsic property of a string.
> Ok... it feels like you are changing the rules as we play, instead of admitting "defeat" ;-)
>
> Or, did you indeed talk about *generic sequences* this whole time? If so, why the focus on encoding strategies for characters?

David, there are three related conversations (threads) going on. One
about a particular set of utf encoded strings. One is about replacing
std::string with a string specialized for utf-8, and the third, this
one, is about a string type that is immutable. They keep leaking into
each other a bit.

Patrick