Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Joe Mucchiello (jmucchiello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 15:24:57

On Jan 28, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:

> And I stopped before I write too much -- the initial version is
> already up:
>https://github.com/downloads/mikhailberis/cpp-string-theory/cpp-string-theory.pdf
>

> -- I'll give it more information and the actual interfaces and
> implementation as soon as I get some Z's. :)

Hi, I have a question. You keep saying that the string (or chain) has no
encoding the string is "just a sequence of bytes" but that doesn't make sense.
The bytes have to have some form of encoding otherwise how do the adapter
classes know how to convert the sequence of bytes into an encoded
sequence? When you say the string has no encoding do you simply mean
the default encoding is implementation dependent? Did I miss where you
said this somewhere?

Oh, and I see the value in an immutable string. I just think you are still at
such a high level that it's hard to see where you are going for some people.

  Joe