Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 16:13:50

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Artyom <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[snip/]

>> 6. Encoding is extrinsic to strings
>>
>>   ?!?!?!
>>
>>   All the discussion in started because we need UTF-8
>>   in strings now we are back to the beginning?
>>

> No, the discussion started because we need a UTF-8 view of data. You
> missed the point I was making. And you didn't understand the document
> I wrote.

Sorry, but no. The discussion started by the proposal that we should
by default treat std::strings as if they were UTF-8 encoded.
Artyom should know because he was the one who did the original
proposal. The whole 'view' idea was brought up only much later.

[snip/]

Matus