Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 16:43:17

Dean Michael Berris wrote:

> For multi-core set-ups where you have a NUMA architecture, having one
> thread allocate memory that's in a given memory controller (in a given
> core/CPU) that has to be a given size spanning multiple pages will
> give your OS a hard time finding at least two contiguous memory pages
> (especially when memory is a scarce resource). That's the virtual
> memory manager at work and that's a performance killer on most modern
> (and even not so modern) platforms.

Any chance you could cite some references for that?

I can't help feeling that perhaps you have read something about finding
contiguous _physical_ pages, which certainly could be a problem for
e.g. kernel code but does not apply here, and have misinterpreted it as
referring to _virtual_ pages.

Thanks, Phil.