Subject: Re: [boost] Survey: What should an immutable byte sequence data structure be named?
From: Gregory Crosswhite (gcross_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 16:55:41

On 1/28/11 1:23 PM, David Bergman wrote:
> We should definitely separate these two concerns quite clearly and explain*exactly* what the purpose of that immutable finite sequence type is; is it intended*only* for use from text-handling "higher-level" notions? If so, why? And, where did that "sequence of*anything*" come from then?

My understanding was that calling it a sequence of bytes was done to
explicitly indicate that the data structure can handle *any* sequence of
bytes, not just text, so that it is a generic data structure rather than
one specialized for text-handling or some other "higher-level" purpose.

Cheers,
Gregory Crosswhite