Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 17:47:18

On 01/28/2011 09:59 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Dean Michael Berris
> <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> So the interface I was thinking about (and suggesting) is a lot more
>> minimal than what rope or std::string have exposed. I think when I do
>> finish that design document (with rationale) it would be clear why I
>> would like to keep it immutable and why I would prefer it still be
>> called a string.
>>
>> Let me finish that document -- expect something over the weekend. :)
>>
> And I stopped before I write too much -- the initial version is
> already up: https://github.com/downloads/mikhailberis/cpp-string-theory/cpp-string-theory.pdf
> -- I'll give it more information and the actual interfaces and
> implementation as soon as I get some Z's. :)

You mention that your string is thread safe by design, but you only
solve the problem of mutating the data of a string, your references to
the pieces from which you compose a string are not thread safe, since
they are mutable, right? Or is it that when you paste another chunk on
the end that you get a whole new container and the old is thrown away?
Otherwise if two threads are trying to attach a new piece on the end of
the string you could get out of wack without keeping them from dealing
with the same data structures.

Patrick