Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 18:18:01

On 01/28/2011 12:46 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> ... elision by patrick ...
> Ropes, are getting into TR2. Read the same document referred to with
> regards to COW with strings becoming non-standard compliant in C++0x.

I think you're referring to n2668 from 2008, which concluded with:

        Recovering the Loss

    The largest potential loss in performance due to a switch away from
    copy-on-write implementations is the increased consumption of memory
    for applications with very large read-mostly strings. However, we
    believe that for those applications ropes are a better technical
    solution, and recommend a rope proposal be considered for inclusion
    in Library TR2.

That's not the same as saying that it will be. We don't know yet what
will be in TR2 as far as I know. If you go to the working group's
page: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/ you see a link to the
draft of TR1, but nothing for TR2 yet.

Patrick