Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a simple buffer abstraction?
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-29 17:59:47

Cory Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Vicente Botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>> I'm working on a frame concept, which is something like a bidirectional
>> buffer. It allows to prepend and append binary data, and obtain/remove
>> the
>> header and the trailer.
>>
>> In addition we can split a frame in fragments and join fragments to make
>> frame.
>>
>> All these features are needed when working with protocol stacks.
>
> You'll have a winner if you expand that to allow bidirectional
> iteration of both bytes and fragments (and then a fragment is just a
> raw array giving random-access iteration within them). VERY useful
> for high-performance incremental parsing, I would definitely give my
> +1 for boost inclusion.

I wanted to hide whether the memory is continuous or not. Only when the user
needs continuous memory the library will ensure it on the resulting data. Of
course this continuous memory will have random access.

Could you give an example of how you want to use the features you seem to
need? This will help me to see if the current interface is enough or if it
must be extended.

Thanks in advance,
Vicente