Subject: Re: [boost] [UTF string] Progress Report (was: [string] Realistic API proposal)
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-30 08:27:48

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:20:07 -0800
Patrick Horgan <phorgan1_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> [...]
>
> I still like the idea of a utf-8_string that enforces correct
> encoding, i.e. it won't let you make a change to the string that would
> make the above external function is_valid_utf8 return false. [...]

Don't worry, I'm still working on that. :-) I've already modified the
classes so that they're all guaranteed to preserve valid encoding at
all times, and added as many std::string functions to each of them as is
feasible (utf32_t handles all of them, the others only a subset).

I've nearly finished integrating the policy-based stuff, so you can
tell it what action to take on errors in the input data. The only major
thing left is designing a way to properly convert data that *isn't* in
UTF format, and from studying Artyom's Boost.Locale, I have a few ideas
on how to do that. It should be ready for public critique by the end of
next week, at the latest. It won't have a true character iterator at
that point, but as I envision it, that can be added on separately.

I'm not sure about the proxy class design that I've had to use for
utf32_t's operator[] and at() functions, in order to check any
modifications for validity as they're made, but I'm sure someone here
will set me straight if it's not right.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.