Subject: Re: [boost] Process discussions
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 05:02:03

Boost to be
> reviewed are not in the sandbox using the recommended layout. It would
> certainly make it much easier for others to use, test, review, and get
updates to
> such libraries when they occur. I think that this should be a Boost
mandate: "if
> you want to submit your library for a Boost review you need to get sandbox
> access and put your library into it using the recommended directory
structure." I
> find that much easier than getting some library from some URL address on
the
> Internet or from the Boost vault, as a monolithic zip file, and unzipping
and
> hoping that the directory structure corresponds to something I can try
without
> wasting a great deal of time figuring out how to use said library.

Your explanations are fine - and I strongly support enforcement of the
'Boost Standard File Layout.

But IMO this shows:

* Judging by a fair number of projects in sandbox, Boost has failed to get
over to wannabe authors the requirement/desirability for this structure.

* Boost search and/indexing is ineffective. Using the Boost page clicking
on "Search Boost" doesn't produce any helpful links.
(nor does refining the search to only www.boost.org). FAQ doesn't help. The
index is tiny for such a massive site, and is no help for this question.

* Eventually one might find http://www.boost.org/community/sandbox.html .

* This tells you *what* you need to know, but not *why* it is like that.

* Telling *why* often gives a big push to compliance.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK