Subject: Re: [boost] Kernel-level threads
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 07:02:20

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Tibor Szaboky <tibors_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Does Boost support Kernel-level threads?

It depends on what platform you're on. In Linux 2.6.x user threads are
mapped to kernel threads 1:1. On some platforms (Solaris, other
UNIXes) there's an M:N mapping of user to kernel threads. I'm not
familiar with how things are done on Windows so I can't really tell.

If what you're asking is if Boost.Thread uses 'clone()' directly on
Linux then the answer would be no as it goes through pthreads to do
the threading. On other platforms I'd say the answer would be no as
well.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris