Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 14:55:03

On Feb 2, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 2/2/2011 11:34 AM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, den 02.02.2011, 09:30 -0800 schrieb Steven Watanabe:
>>> * Those who just don't care will have to learn a new tool
>>> (transient, subjective).
>>
>> No, they don't!
>> You can continue to use TortoiseSVN for example.
>> See: https://github.com/blog/626-announcing-svn-support
>>

> "For now it's only read-only, but who knows what
> will happen in the future!" I doubt that it's
> possible to make this work perfectly because
> git and svn just handle some things differently.
> Otherwise, why isn't git-svn good enough for those
> who want to use git?

I have used git-svn quite successfully in two bigger projects - definitely many more commits than Boost - to create isomorphically embedded images in Git, including proper treatment of tags and branches - using the standard mapping. Yes, I did cull old history (such as "older than two years") admittedly... Additionally, in one of them, I continued to bridge Git and SVN for six months. Nope, I did not prove the isomorphism by subsequently exporting the Git repository ("git fast-export --all") back into a SVN repository, so can only formally claim "perceptual homomorphism"...

So, I would not say that git-svn is not good enough, in general, if the SVN project has reasonable (simplistic?) meta structures.

/David