Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] TTI library updated in the sandbox
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-06 20:57:35

On 2/6/2011 7:21 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> At Sun, 06 Feb 2011 17:44:02 -0500,
> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> On 2/6/2011 4:14 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>> Couple o' things:

>>> FWIW, passing lambda expressions instead of metafunction classes is a
>>> trade-off: it's more expressive, but will lengthen compile times. For
>>> the implementation of a boost library, it's probably better to err on
>>> the side of speed.
>>
>> I could create metafunction classes for use instead of having the end-user use
>> placeholder expressions. Is that what you are suggesting for better compiler
>> speed ? It should be easy enough to do. I was influenced by your MPL book and
>> how easy it is for the end-user to use placeholder expressions.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood you. I took you to be saying that you were using
> placeholder expressions in the library's implementation. Supporting the user
> who wants to pass placeholder expressions is a good idea. Using metafunction
> classes in your library's implementation is also a good idea.

Above in my blurb for the library I am writing "lambda expressions",
which can support an end-user who uses either a placeholder expression
or a metafunction class ? Maybe you read it too fast and assumed just
"placeholder expressions" instead.

I do not generate a metafunction class for each of the metafunction
macros but your comment made me realize that I can easily do so. In that
way an end-user can either use a placeholder expression or a generated
metafunction class to pass the macro metafunctions around. Of course
anyone is free to create their own metafunction class also.

> [...]
>> to do. In this case it is to introspect the inner elements of a type. I have
>> functionality to introspect member data and functions and static data and
>> functions, and some new functionality to introspect types ( checking for the
>> actual type ) and class templates ( specifying the exact template parameters ),
>> so it seemed natural for me that I should just as well also provide
>> functionality in general for types and templates, even if it was to provide the
>> exact same functionality which is in Boost MPL. This is more a situation of
>> completeness than orthogonality, but I felt that providing all of the
>> functionality the library promises was more important than duplicating the MPL
>> functionality. And of course the duplication code-wise is just minimal since I
>> am not recreating the macros which constitute BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TRAIT_DEF and
>> BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TEMPLATE_DEF but just using the MPL macros internally and
>> delegating to their already existing functionality.
>>
>> 2) For the nullary type metafunctions in my library I have corresponding type
>> and template functionality, to be used where the types are nullary
>> metafunctions. It would have felt odd, in the sense of the nullary type
>> metafunctions being orthogonal in functionality to the macro metafunctions, not
>> to also have the same type and template functionality in the macro
>> metafunctions.
>>
>> 3) I wanted the naming I used to be consistent with the other names in the
>> library. So instead of BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TEMPLATE_DEF I have TTI_HAS_TEMPLATE,
>> instead of BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TEMPLATE_NAMED_DEF I have TTI_TRAIT_HAS_TEMPLATE,
>> instead of BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TRAIT_DEF I have TTI_HAS_TYPE and instead of
>> BOOST_MPL_HAS_XXX_TRAIT_NAMED_DEF I have TTI_TRAIT_HAS_TYPE. This sort of ease
>> of use, because the naming is consistent, is important to me when I think about
>> design for an end-user. Of course the documentation can tell the end-user to use
>> the already existing MPL macros to get type and template introspection instead
>> of providing my own set that does the exact same thing and just reuses the MPL
>> functionality. But I felt it more natural to provide my own.
>>
>> I hope you know that there is no attempt being made to create the TTI_HAS_TYPE
>> and TTI_HAS_TEMPLATE metafunction macros without acknowledging that I am just
>> lifting this from the MPL library. It is in the description when I post on this
>> NG and it is in the documentation in the Acknowledgments section. I would be
>> glad to put it anywhere else. At the same time I can remove it easily enough
>> from the TTI library but I think in that case it would be less complete as a
>> compile-time introspection library if I did.
>
> Sorry, that part was tl;dr'd.
> I'm just pointing out that using the term
> "orthogonal" doesn't make much sense on the surface here, and if it requires
> that much explanation to get it to make sense, maybe you should choose a

OK. Perhaps I should write "for the purpose of completeness" instead.
Orthogonality, as in 2) above, was one part of why I chose to include them.