Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 18:21:14

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:59:25PM -0500, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > At Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:03:33 -0500,
> > Beman Dawes wrote:
> > Since when does Windows support symlinks?!
>
> Since Vista. That's how Boost.Filesystem can now supports symlinks on Windows.

Note that they are not as usable as they may first appear, as you
generally cannot make them as a limited user, even if you have the usual
permissions for the directories and files.

> >> and it works smoothly with no changes whatsoever to either by bjam testing or
> >> VisualC++ IDE testing.
> >>
> >> Would it be possible to generate directory symlinks instead of
> >> forwarding headers if the filesystem supports them?
> >
> > Sure!  What filesystem doesn't?  FAT?
>
> FAT, pre-Vista NTFS, and some CD-ROM and DVD file systems.

I would recommend that if you go down this path, that you _thoroughly_
test the behaviour of them under regular and limited users. In my
experience, they're virtually useless as a non-elevated user.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]