Subject: [boost] [UTF String] UTF String library 1.5 ready for perusal
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 09:50:29

It's a little later than I'd planned, but the second version of the UTF
String library is now available for download, at
<http://www.oakcircle.com/toolkit.html>. I'd appreciate comments or
(constructive) criticisms on it.

This version is substantially better than the original. The design has
been somewhat simplified, removing extraneous features like null-string
emulation. Each of the classes now contain as many of the std::string
functions as I could efficiently add (essentially all of them in
utf32_t), including I/O stream functions, and also features code-point
iterators. It includes conversion classes for many common code-pages
too.

(I have not yet added true *character* iterators. That's going to
require more study. But the code-point iterators should be pretty
useful even without that.)

There may well be bugs in it. I've only just completed it, I haven't
used this version in anything but test code yet. It's also still *not*
ready for submission... it's closer, but at the very least I'd like to
add a few more code-pages to it first (so it can handle any code-page
that Windows is likely to throw at it), and break up the code-page
cpp files.

Artyom, it might interest you to note that its capabilities are
very similar to those outlined in your "realistic API
proposal" (<http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/01/176046.php>),
though the design itself is different. It doesn't handle Unicode
normalization, case handling, comparison, or search, but all the other
capabilities are there. Your API could be implemented on top of utf8_t
fairly easily.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.