Subject: Re: [boost] Using Boost without confusing Intellisense
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 12:53:59

Hi,

9-2-2011 17:29, Matthew Chambers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use many Boost libraries, develop with MSVC (currently 2008), and
> build both my project and its Boost dependencies with Boost.Build. The
> one thing that's always frustrated me using boost is its tendency to
> confuse MSVC's Intellisense. I don't know if this holds true for other
> IDEs with an Intellisense-like capability, but heavy use of
> boost::shared_ptr and BOOST_FOREACH in particular seem to confuse
> Intellisense in a large project. MSVC never knows what to show when
> dereferencing a shared_ptr and it never defines the instance variable
> in BOOST_FOREACH.
>
> I came up with two fairly simple workarounds for this but I'm
> interested to hear if there's a better solution. If not, I'm wondering
> if the workarounds could go in boost itself. (...)

I had the same experience with MSVC 2005 and 2008, developing
Boost.Geometry. We don't use shared_ptr there, and BOOST_FOREACH
neither, but still I had this issue (it hangs forever).

Anyway, it is relatively easy to solve by turning off Intellisense
completely...

It is described on this page:

http://geometrylibrary.geodan.nl/compiling.html

referring to: