Subject: Re: [boost] Using Boost without confusing Intellisense
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 19:14:22

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 08:29:11 -0800, Matthew Chambers
<matt.chambers42_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use many Boost libraries, develop with MSVC (currently 2008), and
> build both my project and its Boost dependencies with Boost.Build. The
> one thing that's always frustrated me using boost is its tendency to
> confuse MSVC's Intellisense. I don't know if this holds true for other
> IDEs with an Intellisense-like capability, but heavy use of
> boost::shared_ptr and BOOST_FOREACH in particular seem to confuse
> Intellisense in a large project. MSVC never knows what to show when
> dereferencing a shared_ptr and it never defines the instance variable in
> BOOST_FOREACH.

Eclipse CDT is actually pretty good with code completion, code navigation,
and code editing. I've had no problems with shared_ptr. Though, it's
context menu is a little cluttered, doesn't work with libtool+gdb combo,
you're going to have to put some effort into getting the project setup if
your project structure isn't tied to the filesystem, and from time to time
they can have some really annoying regressions in their releases, so try
out new releases before adopting them.

Mostafa