Subject: Re: [boost] [Tokenizer]Usage and documentation
From: Max (more4less_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-10 02:53:15

Hello Michael

> <please don't top-post>
> <http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#quoting>

My apologies.

> > I did knew spirit before but not much. It seemed like a canon or much
more
> > while what I need is a gun.
>
> This, unfortunately, seems to be a common mis-perception. If we were
> talking about using lex, yacc, or bison I would understand. Spirit in a
> DSEL and a simple include enables the functionality.
>
> It can't be that the compiled result is 'canon' compared to the other
> solutions you are looking at. The resulting code is tight and fast.

It's nice to hear that.

> > Its power and elegance seems worth a try, even though the learning curve
is
> > a little bit steep.
> >
> > (To play with a simple toy program closely resembling those samples
> > presented in the tutorial is not difficult,
> > but having a full grasp, or nearly, is far from a easy task, especially
when
> > one comes across compile errors -
> > the scenario that I believe everyone here can imagine, which is probably
the
> > biggest drawback of the
> > powerful high order programming)
>
> I think this hits the problem. The library can be intimidating at first.
> Any DSEL can just look odd initially. I personally find Qi to be close
> enough to EBNF that it reads nicely.
>
> The compiler errors are definitely an issue, especially when you are
> first beginning. Looks like you have found the tutorial. If you are
> interested in a crash course you can find slides here:
> <http://www.objectmodelingdesigns.com/boostcon10/> and the BoostCon
> video here: <http://blip.tv/file/4143337>.
>
> There is a Spirit ML and a bunch of hang out on the Boost IRC channel.
> The community is friendly and always eager to help a new convert.
> Regardless of the approach you take, I wish you luck!

In case I come across problems I'll definitely join the ML and ask for your
help.
Thank you very much for your pointer - I'll have a careful read of the
presentations
for both SPIRIT and ASIO in which both lib's and many other boost libs are
presenting
a beautiful real life collaboration.

And... I'm so happy to get to know how you three (Michael, Hartmut and Joel)
look like
by the photo at the left bottom of the page. :-)

I know you guys long before but it's this time I have a look at your photo.