Subject: Re: [boost] [interfaces] Boost Interface Library (2004?)
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-11 09:59:36

"Daniel Larimer" <dlarimer_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> I think the goal of the interface library should be a more
> flexible/powerful
> version of "boost::any" that allows you to define the interface of the
> object
> stored in the 'any'. In this way it takes type erasure to a new level.
>...snip...
> 2) Provide the ability to define 'dynamic' implementations of an interface
> for calling RPC, scripting language interface, etc.
> 3) Objects that implement 'interfaces' should be long-lasting 'actors'
> where overhead of creating/copying/destroying the interface along with
> any memory usage is of secondary importance to the ease of defining
> dynamic interfaces and achieving 'type erasure'.

It seems you are making the typical mistake of fitting a (very) low level
library/tool to your particular needs...

In the use cases described in the post to Edward Diener I, for example, have
no need for (2) and, as such, am not willing to pay for (3)...

Additional power is always welcome when it is optional...otherwise it
becomes 'inflexibility' and 'bloat'...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than