Subject: Re: [boost] [UTF String] UTF String library 1.5 ready for perusal
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-13 18:17:30

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 05:57, Chad Nelson <chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What do you use string.length() for? :-) Efficiently providing an
> answer to that is one of several things the UTF string classes keep
> track of it for.

Seeing if a string will "fit", under various meanings:
* wrapping (like 80-column console lines)
* fixed-width fields (like ID3v1)

Neither of which are things that are applicable at codepoint level :)

I've never seen anything best done at codepoint level. Comparing,
rendering, and storing text all are done at different non-codepoint
levels.