Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Boost Filesystem now has public GitHub repository
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-13 21:54:38

On 2/13/2011 10:15 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> The point of this public repo is to gain actual use experience with
> Git and with a modularized Boost library. Modularization followed the
> pattern ryppl is proposing - the top level directory is the same as
> the current SVN list/filesystem, with the addition an "include"
> directory with a "boost" sub-directory containing the current SVN
> boost/filesystem stuff. None of the existing filesystem content was
> changed.

I'm wondering if to make a more accurate comparison of the git
experience vs. svn, it would be worthwhile to experiment with
maintaining a modularized Boost Library directly in subversion.

> So that the development environment will be identical to the current
> SVN trunk, I setup my local filesystem trunk repository using a little
> script:
>
> svn export %BOOST_TRUNK% fs-trunk
> cd fs-trunk/libs
> rm -r filesystem
> git clone git_at_[hidden]:Beman/filesystem.git filesystem
> cd ..\boost
> del filesystem.hpp
> rm -r filesystem
> mklink filesystem.hpp ..\libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem.hpp
> mklink /d filesystem ..\libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem
>
> The effect is to export the SVN trunk, then replace libs/filesystem
> with a git clone of the public repository. boost/filesystem is
> replaced with a symlink to libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem

Why export when you can overlay the svn version with the git version.
And hence be able to do local commits with git. And then immediately
commit to svn.

And following on my comment about a modular lib in svn.. It might be
convenient to put the modularized filesystem lib in svn. And then merge
to the non-modular trunk (or release).

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything