Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Variadic Macro Data library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-18 09:24:54

On 2/18/2011 8:53 AM, Daniel Larimer wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Edward Diener<eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> I am requesting that my library, the Variadic Macro Data library, which is
>>> in the sandbox in the variadic_macro_data directory, be reviewed for
>>> inclusion into Boost.
>>>
>>> The variadic_macro_data library adds support and functionality for variadic
>>> macros to Boost as well as integrating variadic macros with the Boost PP
>>> library without changing the latter library in any way.
>>>
>>> I believe others have used my library, can attest to its quality and that it
>>
>> I have been using the variadic_macro_data library to rework
>> Boost.Local macros to variadic macros. It turned out I only needed a
>> couple of macros from this library (VMD_SIZE and VMD_TO_SEQ) so I
>> cannot comment much about the library at this point. However, I read
>> the entire library documentation and I am personally pleased with the
>> functionalities that it offers and especially with its design that
>> does not change any of the Boost.Preprocessor macros.
>>
>> I would personally find it useful if this library is reviewed for
>> addition to Boost.
>>
>>> does what it is supposed to do. and have found it useful when using variadic
>>> macros with Boost PP. I myself have used its functionality in my own TTI
>>> library in the sandbox. Support for variadic macros is implemented in nearly
>>> all modern C++ compilers and the syntax is natural for an end-user. The
>>> library is finalized as far as functionality is concerned and I would like
>>> to see it in Boost and am willing to maintain it as a Boost library.
>
> If I remember correctly, VS 2008's support for Veridic Macros is limited to pasting the entire __VA_ARGS__ as one token vs pasting it as a series of tokens that may be further manipulated. Has this been fixed in VS2010 or how does your library get around this significant bug?

I found a way around all VC++ bugs regarding variadic macros and
__VA_ARGS__. You can retrieve any single token from the variadic data
using my library, whether in VC++ or any other compiler supporting
variadic macros.

> Is there an online reference to your library somewhere?

The library is in the Boost sandbox in the variadic_macro_data
directory, and it already comes with full documentation there, both html
and PDF. All you have to do is checkout using SVN from the sandbox
directory.