Subject: Re: [boost] encouraging review managers -- was Re: Review Request: Variadic Macro Data library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-19 16:46:26

On 2/19/2011 3:57 PM, Gordon Woodhull wrote:
> Hi Ron, Ed, all,
>
> On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Ronald Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure how one goes about doing that, but I will assume I am supposed to ask for one on this mailing list.
>>>

>> That's right. The review wizards will also be putting out a report which requests managers for libraries that don't have one, but individual appeals are often more effective.
>
> I have been mulling over Joachim's Review Manager Assistant proposal, and I have a couple of thoughts about review manager assignments.
>
> First, as Joachim and many others have pointed out, the review "queue" that's described in
> http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html#Wizard
> doesn't exist and isn't the right idea.

It does not exist as far as that anybody can see it but maybe it does
exist otherwise. But I think it is the right idea in that there should
be some people who are accepted as possible reviewers who can be
contacted if no one else volunteers to review a particular library. I
see nothing wrong with that situation.

> I don't think it makes sense for the Review Wizards to try to assign review managers to libraries - it's much better for people to volunteer based on their own interests and expertise. That is what is happening in practice.

I agree on principle but if no one volunteers then certainly a library
in the review queue should not be rejected simple for lack of a review
manager.

> Ed, you volunteered to be a review manager about a month ago. Have you approached any of the authors of prospective libraries on
> http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html
> who are listed as needing review managers?

I was told to contact the review wizards and offer up my services to
review libraries. I did so, and mentioned the libraries I felt I could
review. As I understand it, it was then up to the review wizards to
determine whether I was qualified to review a library and to contact me
about doing so if they thought that I was. I was not subsequently contacted.

What do you mean "approached any of the authors of prospective
libraries" ? I initially offered to review a number of libraries but was
told to do what I described in the preceding paragraph.