Subject: [boost] [gsoc] Project proposals
From: Andrew Sutton (asutton.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-21 09:50:01

Hi all,

Just a reminder the Google Summer of Code will be starting soon. Sort of.
The org's application is due some time next week.

If anybody has project ideas and would be willing to mentor, please add them
to the wiki page, here:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2011

If you are adding project ideas, please remember that terse, intentionally
vague descriptions will (hopefully) cause prospective students to do a
little more investigation before submitting a proposal. Also, experimental
projects are encouraged. The work doesn't have to be part of the Boost
distribution. Long-term (multi-summer) projects may also be possible,
depending on commitments from students and mentors.

Please note that achieving group consensus on the requirements or design of
any particular project is distinctly *not* encouraged. Trying to hash out
details of a students project on the mailing list can scare away students
and discourage mentors. It we be great if we can avoid a replay of the XML
fiasco from last year.

Finally, there was some early consensus about requiring an aptitude test in
addition to the proposal. Are there any ideas on what form this should take?
I think that the minimal requirement is that the user check Boost or some
part of the sandbox out of SVN and build some kind of hello world program.
It would be great if that program required some demonstration of familiarity
with or ability to use the standard library. Any thoughts?

Andrew Sutton