Subject: Re: [boost] Distributed Boost with CMake: proposal and volunteering
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-21 11:09:56

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Rob Riggs <rob_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> .  I don't mean anything about VMs.  I just mean something like
>> what Python's virtualenv does: create a parallel filesystem hierarchy
>> on which you have write permission, where ryppl can do its
>> installations, and then update PATH and other things in the
>> environment before running the tests to simulate the conditions of a
>> normal installation.

Well, that level of isolation would be ideal, and I'd love to use a
chroot jail on systems where it's available. However, I think that
for some platforms we'll have to settle for something much less
ambitious, and I plan to put my attention on the common denominator
first, i.e. something that can easily be coded up in portable C++ or
Python.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing