Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem v3] [iostreams] [interprocess] no windows access to memory mapped file
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-28 04:52:32

El 25/02/2011 15:31, Jeff Flinn escribió:
> I posted the issue with interprocess and Ion was of the opinion that
> this shorcoming needs to be addressed. I'm not sure if Steven is
> maintaining iostreams, or if he has given thought to how to address the
> iostreams implementation. My opinion is that boost libraries using paths
> in their interfaces should be using filesystem v3 paths. Beman, I think,
> suggested in the recent utf8 thread that boost libraries should use the
> wide version of the windows api passing path.wstring().c_str() where
> appropriate.

I wouldn't like to make Interprocess dependant on Filesystem just to
handle paths, and the problem is not just related to mapped file, since
some other Interprocess elements might require also wide string
interface (like shared memory). So I'm afraid we need some kind of
policy (and common code) to handle system calls with wide/utf-8
interfaces. This might require some heavy refactoring in Interprocess
internals as there are some OS abstractions (file handling, unlink(),
etc.) to simplify code and maintenance with narrow char interfaces.

> Do others have thoughts on this issue? Are the windows wide api usage
> part of boost guidelines? Should they be?

AFAIK, we have no guidelines,

Best,

Ion