Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Performance of fixed-size large integers
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-04 11:53:42

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:36:15 +0100
Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> I ran no benchmarks but delving through magnitude_manager_t seems
>>> enough to understand the problem. Do you think specializing this
>>> class on Bits parameter to be stack based for non zero values could
>>> solve this performance problem?
>>
>> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/205549>
>
> Just drop the whole copying everywhere and COW idea, it's just making
> your code more complex and preventing many simple optimizations.

My, you're good. I've never before met anyone who can profile code in
his head and come up with the optimal solution without even touching a
compiler. My hat is off to you, sir.

If, after fixing the pass-by-reference stuff, testing proves that the
COW code isn't an improvement, I'll certainly remove it. If not, you're
welcome to pound salt.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.