Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] XInt Review
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-04 13:02:20

On 04/03/11 18:55, Chad Nelson wrote:
>>> Why would you? Give me a viable use-case, and if it fits the
>>> library's design criteria, I'll be happy to try to make it happen.
>> Well, let's say i just have some file format storing large integer
>> this way or receiving large integer over a network by unconnected
>> packet. It's a variation of reading the int value from a string like
>> "45748764465768754564634687314313270".
> And what interface do you envision to allow this?

I have to give it a deep thought so it looks like a vlaid proposal. I'll
come back at you on this.

> If you want more than read-only, then even if the library provides it,
> it will have to be marked as officially unsupported and subject to
> incompatible changes without warning in future versions.
Read only is all what is needed IMHO
> If such a function isn't use-specific, I assume it would be more at
> home within the library than as an add-on, and I'd suggest providing a
> patch if you're willing and able to offer it to the public. If not,
> then you're right, the only way to do it well would be with read/write
> access to the internals.
Well, look at spirit or other stuff like that. Havign extension points
or proper process to add X or Y is a very fine additionin any lib.

> It's not an excuse, but I'm very short of sleep and more than a little
> frustrated. Please forgive the tone of my previous reply
Take a break this week end, sleep well and everythign will be more calm
and clean for arguing monday.