Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Boost.XInt formal review (Chad Nelson)
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-05 19:58:16

2011/3/5 Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]>:
> Chad Nelson wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what culture you [Mathias] grew up in, but mocking someone's
>> words,
>> questioning his competence, and finding any excuse to belittle his work
>> is incredibly offensive in mine. And that's the content of at least half
>> of your messages to me, when you're not simply expressing the
>> unbelievably arrogant and self-centered assumption that you know the
>> best way to do something that you've never attempted, but that I've put
>> a hell of a lot of work into developing, and that anything I've done
>> differently is automatically wrong.
>>
>> On the small chance that you really don't know how insulting your
>> messages are, here's some advice: if you want your opinions to be taken
>> seriously by anyone with a spine, try a little respect for the
>> intelligence of the person on the other side of the conversation, and
>> assume that he's competent and does things for a reason until proven
>> otherwise, even if that reason isn't perfect. It will make people a lot
>> more receptive to your ideas.
>

> Chad has posted a number of outbursts like this in the last few days.
>
> It seems to me that they are unjustified: this particular response was,
> according to how Chad himself has quoted the thread, in response to the
> comment "I don't see how that requires virtual inheritance".  I don't think
> anyone has yet agreed with Chad that virtual inheritance is the right
> solution here; it certainly looks mighty odd to me.  Yet that criticism
> sends Chad off the rails.
>
> We can't go on like this.  I propose that the review be stopped now.  There
> should already be enough input for the Review Manager to make a decision.
>  If we carry on, this list will turn into the sort of "flame fest" that we
> all know happens elsewhere, but not normally in Boost.

Chad is having a hard time in this review. It is not always easy to
digest loads of criticism and not to take things personal. As far as I
can see, Chad is very passionate about contributing and willing to
learn and to admit shortcomings in his project. I've seen other people
derail under "review pressure" on this list. We're all humans, So
please have mercy ;-)

Joachim

--
Interval Container Library [Boost.Icl]