Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Boost.XInt formal review
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-09 11:57:12

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 08:21:49 -0800
"Dick Bridges" <Dick.Bridges_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Brilliance and BS are indistinguishable to someone who doesn't have a
>> complete grasp of all the issues involved. You can waste a lot of
>> valuable programming time in trying to understand a suggestion at a
>> deep enough level to agree or refute it, only to find that the
>> original suggester had no idea what he was talking about.
>
> Chad, as an 'old guy' and nothing more than a lurking outsider, allow
> me to offer an alternative interpretation: You never really know a
> topic until you try to teach it - or, in this case, 'sell' a library
> to the group at boost.org.

I can attest to that.

> What you refer to as a 'waste', I would interpret as 'due diligence'.
> More than simply adding some library, IMHO you are, in a very real
> sense, in the process of establishing yourself as the "go to" person
> for large integers within the boost community. That's a lofty goal
> and will require that you NEVER stop learning.

If it means that my arrog^H^H^H^H^H *confidence* becomes warranted on
the subject, that's probably a good thing. ;-) I do enjoy learning new
programming techniques, despite any impression that my earlier...
instability?... might have given. Programming has been my hobby since
childhood, and making it the means of earning my living as well hasn't
diminished my enjoyment of it.

> (A word of warning though: if you thought the last 5-6 months effort
> was a lot of work on your part, think about the next 5-6 *YEARS*
> if|when your library is accepted.)

The months of concentrated effort, to the exclusion of essentially
everything else, were a lot of work. By comparison, maintaining and
improving it should be a snap.

> Just my $.002

And much appreciated.

--