Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Boost.XInt formal review
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jhellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-09 14:33:38

On 3/9/2011 7:19 AM, Chad Nelson wrote:
> I'm leery of looking at any GMP code... it's probably pure paranoia,
> the GPL can't apply to just *looking* at code, but I'd rather stick to
> descriptions to ensure that my code doesn't resemble anyone else's and
> nobody can claim that I've copied from them.

For the Schönhage–Strassen multiplication algorithm, I found the
following paper about the GMP implementation to be very illuminating
(and doesn't have the errors that the wikipedia entry has!):

http://www.loria.fr/~gaudry/publis/issac07.pdf

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think it's fine to base an implementation
off the description given in that paper.

- Jeff