Subject: [boost] [xint] review
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-09 16:44:55

Dear All,

Here is my review of the proposed XInt library.

There seem to be several issues with the design of this library; all
have been discussed before at length so I will simply summarise:

1. Performance of small and fixed-length integers is poor. This could
be resolved by storing fixed-length values on the stack, or by using
some sort of small buffer optimisation.

2. There is no assembler, and there are no "hooks" in the
implementation where a contributor could insert assembler fragments for
critical code.

3. Performance is hindered by the creation of temporaries in
expressions such as a = b+c+d+e; a system of expression templates that
allowed the expression to be computed "slicewise" would eliminate the
need for temporaries.

4. The interface is not very generic; for example the
is_(probably)_prime function cannot be used on a regular int; the
implementation operates on the internal representation of the integer
for no apparent reason. (If the reason is performance, then that
itself indicates a deficiency in the interface.) (Aside: I feel that
is_(probably)_prime would be better in Boost.Math, which is apparently
already organised into sub-libraries.) Also the basic algorithms
(addition, multiplication...) are not generic, i.e. they cannot be used
other than on the provided integer type (this would matter much less if
the provided type were more performant).

5. Although I don't have strong views either way on COW, I do feel that
in 2011 we should focus primarily on thread-safe code i.e.
single-thread code is now the special case, not the norm. So if COW is
to be used it should be thread-safe COW.

6. Apparently sign-magnitude is used without tweaks for bitwise
operations, giving "wrong" answers for negatives (in contrast to e.g.
GMP which stores sign-mag yet gives "right" answers, IIUC).

7. Choice of algorithms for some operations (e.g. sqrt) seems to have
poor big-O complexity.

In view of these issues, I do not believe that this library should be accepted.

I am not suggesting that all of these issues need to be fixed for the
library to be acceptable. Boost libraries do not have to be perfect.
I just believe that the current state is below the required threshold.

Standard answers:

- What is your evaluation of the design?

See above.

- What is your evaluation of the implementation?

It seems reasonably bug-free.

- What is your evaluation of the documentation?

I'm not a huge fan of doxygen, but that's mostly my problem. The docs
would benefit hugely from some benchmarks.

- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

I've never needed a large integer library.

- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
any problems?

Yes, g++ (ARM Linux), no problems.

- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?

Two or three hours work, running benchmarks, reading a few bits of the
source, and following the discussion.

- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

More so now than a week ago, but fundamentally no.

One final comment: many reviews end with some sort of "accepted subject
to changes" result. This indicates some trust that the author would be
able to make the required changes without further review. I do not
believe that this would be appropriate in this case.

Regards, Phil.