Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Chain over at Github
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-19 00:01:16

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 18/03/2011 03:49, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>
>> That's fine, I deal with lots of network I/O as part of the HTTP
>> implementation in cpp-netlib and it would be really good if I can step
>> away from std::string from the internals to support larger strings
>> without having to induce too much fragmentation when concatenating
>> strings. The intention is to have suitably efficient (not necessarily
>> optimal) string representations for code that need to deal with both
>> small and potentially huge strings.
>
> Then you need a string which layout is compatible with the vectored I/O API
> provided by the system (readv/writev on POSIX,
> ReadFileScatter/WriteFileGather on Win32).

Thanks Mathias, yes the data storage structure I'm looking to use will
mostly obtained with either by mmap'ing an anonymous segment or
through posix_malign(...) -- not sure of the Windows equivalent. The
storage blocks would basically be chunks in memory, and I'm looking to
make a chain a Boost.Asio compatible ConstBufferSequence.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris
http://about.me/deanberris