Subject: Re: [boost] [inspect] exceptions (FW: [Boost-users] no exceptions)
From: Robert Kawulak (robert.kawulak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-22 18:46:19

> From: Vicente BOTET
> I guess that the best we can do is to build the lib and the tests with
> exceptions disabled. No need to update the inspect tool.

Why bother with building everything in various configurations specifically to solve this problem when there's already a tool created and used regularly to check for such things?

> The inspect tool is there to check things that can not be tested in an
> easy way with the compiler.

This seems ad-hoc to me. Inspect is there to automatically check for guidelines violations. Whether it is possible to detect the violations manually with a specifically configured compiler is not relevant.

> Take also in account that inspect is not there to check for guidelines, but for
> rules.

Apart from the fact that rule and guideline are synonyms in this context, the docs for Boost.Inspect explicitly say about GUIDELINE violations and "common problems". Using throw instead of BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION or using non-empty exception specifications is a guideline violation. The latter is already mentioned in "Boost Library Requirements and Guidelines"; the former is not, but it ought to be.

Best regards,
Robert