Subject: Re: [boost] [inspect] exceptions (FW: [Boost-users] no exceptions)
From: Gruenke, Matt (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-23 16:47:41

I use exceptions, but I'm also sympathetic to those who can't use or don't want them. I'm skeptical that all libraries can or should be designed to work without exceptions.

Would it be possible to simply specify which libraries support exception-free operation, in a fashion similar to how certain libraries are called out as header-only? There's a potentially further distinction between libraries which propagate exceptions to the caller and those which only require them internally.

Whatever arguments there are for using BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION() vs. throw, that seems a somewhat independent matter. Simply making this substitution does not guarantee that the library will work properly with exceptions disabled, and there might be legitimate reasons for libraries not designed to operate without exceptions use throw.

IMO, separating these issues & potentially litigating them on a case-by-case basis could make this more tractable.

Matt