Subject: Re: [boost] TTI library updated in the sandbox to version 1.4
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-25 09:06:42

On 3/24/2011 11:03 PM, Gordon Woodhull wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> I will be doing that. Unfortunately except for you and John Maddock no one else has ever expressed an interest in TTI. Maybe that sort of metaprogramming is only of interest to other metaprogrammers and not normal end-users. Which of course does not bode well for a review even though the library is quite good in the creator's opinion.
>
> Introspection is a sorely missing feature in C++.
>
> I bet you will get a good few reviews. Seems like a library mostly for library writers, but everyone should be a library writer. ;-)

I should not have expressed concerns about reviews at this stage. I just
had not heard much from many other programmers about the practical
importance of TTI and was holding off asking for a review until others
expressed interest in it.

> I think you will face the typical "meta-" barrier where people are not yet used to using template metaprogramming, but you'll get plenty of users over time.
>
> If C++ ever integrates metaprogramming better into the language (syntax and internals), libraries like this will motivate that change.

Both compile-time introspection, such as TTI does, and run-time
introspection, in which I am also interested ( as the sandbox mirror
library shows ) has its importance in programming.