Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC]Asking for advice
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-26 03:57:18

On 25/03/11 21:51, Faiçal wrote:
> I want to participate (for the first time) in GSoC, particularly
> boost's projects. I first choosed to apply for the "Checks & Hashes"
> project but I discussed briefly on #boost irc and people here
> convinced me to take a look on the SIMD Library project. This project
> seems very challenging, I'll try it despite my poor experience. I
> start reading about SIMD, I'm currently reading it's wikipedia article
> and some articles found by google and I download the AltiVec
> programming interface manual. It would be useful for me if some of you
> guys give me links for good references articles or documentation about
> this technology.
> This post is essentially for introducing myself to your community and
> asking advice in preparing my application for the project.
> Thanks.

You can have a look at the AltiVec cross reference sheet here :

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/ve/instruction_crossref.html

and the assorted guides on the old apple velocity engine:

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/ve/code_optimization.html
http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/ve/throughput_vs_latency.html

note that most of these techniques are cross-extension (especially
abusing the silent casting of vectors and the mask-select instead of
if-then-else.)
You can get a short overview of these in our boost'con talk from last
year. It may also be nice if you read up on proto as we use it quite
intensively.